Saturday, July 19, 2014

Robot Turtles Programming/ Coding game for kids


Details: Thinkfun's Robot Turtles, the game for little programmers.  Introduces basic coding concepts to preschoolers.  2-5 players, ages 4 and up.  A fun way to learn code.  4 levels of play: Basic game play, unlock obstacles and lasers, unlock write program, unlock function frog.  Great game to grow with.  Simple to set up, easy to learn how to play, same goal to win, but endless possibilities to program your turtle to work on.  The most backed board game in kick starter history.  Includes: game board, 4 robot turtles, 4 jewel tiles, 36 obstacle tiles, 4 bug tiles, 4 code deck with 44 cards each.

Disclaimer: I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

My Review:  This whole idea of teaching young children how to code or program games is brand new to me,  I have seen adult friends, adult siblings, adult professionals code or program games, websites etc.  So when I was offered this opportunity to play this board game with my kids to have them learn coding, to have them learn programming I thought it would be very interesting.  First of all, I love the name Robot Turtles, my boys play this game every day for at least an hour with or without me.  I am glad its a four player game.  I like the fact that each turtle is individual, a different color, with matching jewels and bugs.  My boys love using the "bug" eraser, the ice lasers, and the stone walls to block each other.

Let me just say right now that we spent like 2 hours initially, learning how to play the game according to the rules given.  We started with the basic rules and then slowly added the ice walls, the stone walls, the lasers, the boxes etc.  But after that 2 hour game, we were totally bored.  I didn't like being the only one making noises, and being the only one who could move the turtles.  So we changed the rules and made some permanent changes for when we play the game.

Our rules: each player makes their own noises, each player moves their turtle.  Each player takes turns helping build the board (adding the ice walls, stone walls, boxes).  Making these much needed changes makes the game more fun for my kids, and more bearable for me to play for long periods with them.  My four year old doesn't sit still for anything really, so to have a game that says 4 year olds can play, its rules really need to be a little flexible so that your younger children enjoy playing and the older children don't get bored either.  One other suggestion I have for making this game better is if it could be a 6-8 player game too, maybe in the future because its more fun with more players.  And if you can have more things your turtles have to maneuver against to get to their jewels. But over all its cool.

Pros: 4 year olds can actually play and understand really well, older children have fun as well, love the whole idea of the game

Cons: no cons just the suggestions mentioned above.  

My Rating: Thumbs up

No comments:

Post a Comment